|Although having 501(c) (4) Tax Exempt Status, "Donations to the Department of Michigan - Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, its Camps, or Sons of Veterans Reserve Units operating within the Department of Michigan, (Are Not Tax Deductible)".|
About the Robert Finch Camp No. 14
Camp 14 is named for Sgt. Robert Finch, who served with the First Michigan Sharpshooters. Sgt. Finch was wounded during the Battle of the North Anna River. After the War, Finch became a successful businessman. In 1885 he became the second charter member of Grand Haven's Weatherwas GAR Post 75. Finch later moved to Grand Rapids, Michigan where he was instrumental in raising funds to create a monument honoring the Sharpshooters. That monument now graces the State Capital grounds in Lansing. Robert Finch passed away on February 10, 1924
Camp 14 represents eleven Northwestern Michigan coounties and London, England. Our English Brother, Andres Hopkinson, is the direct descendent of two brothers who emigrated from England and served in Michigan regiments during the Civil War; one died as a POW.
Camp No. 14 originally was based in Grand Rapids until it petitioned to relocate to Traverse City, a convenient location for members and potential members in the area. John LaRue was the first Commander in that location.
We are proud to be the oldest, active Camp in the Department of Michigan -dating from March 26, 1914.
Our goal is to carry on the traditions begun by the Grand Army of the Republic. We are a patriotic and educational organization that perpetuates the memory of the United States Soldiers, Sailors and Marines of that great struggle.
Grave location and registration
Robert Finch in uniform
Robert Finch postwar