Brother David Smith
4th Great Uncle
John J. Clark
John Joseph Clark was born 30 January 1836 in Belmont County, Ohio to Abraham and Letitia (Williams) Clark. He was raised in the Washington County, Ohio area along with his siblings: Isaiah, Phoeba Ann, Benjamin, Isaac, Amos, and William. He married Loria Wires. John passed away 27 January 1911, Belpre, Ohio (Washington County).
John’s brother Amos Bateman Clark served with the 111th Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company C, as well as his brother William W. Clark, who served with the 60th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Company C (William serving along with his son John Henry Clark in the same company).
John volunteered for service with the 92nd Ohio Infantry, Company G, in August of 1862. He mustered out of the 92nd OVI on 30 December 1863 when he was transferred to the 7th Regiment of the Veterans Reserve Corps, Company H. He remained in the 7th VRC until he was mustered out of service in Washington D.C. on 29 June 1865.
According to pension records, John had buckshot wounds to his chest. However, his other physical ailments from serving in the Army were the items that were listed in attempts to get him a pension later in life, and not the buckshot wounds.
John Joseph Clark was a Comrade of A.H. Browning GAR Post No. 673 in Little Hocking, near Belpre in Washington County, Ohio. He was highly involved in the Grand Army of the Republic. He served as Post Commander, and for a considerable amount of years he served as the Adjutant. He was in Post No. 673 along with his brother William W. Clark, his nephew John Henry Clark, and his great-niece’s father-in-law Henry Smith.
During a visit by Brother David Smith to the Belpre Historical Society, Brother Smith was able to view the Adjutant’s Meeting Minutes Book for the A.H. Browning GAR Post. Most of the minutes were written by Brother Smith’s 4th Great Uncle John J. Clark in his duties as Adjutant. To be able to hold the very book that his uncle wrote in was unbelievably special. Even more so, was the fact that the Post’s Bylaws were written out by hand on notebook paper, with each Comrade of the Post signing the Bylaws. Brother Smith had the opportunity to hold those very sheets of paper that his 3rd Great Grandfather, two 2nd Great Grandfathers, and his 4th Great Uncle had signed was simply moving.
History of the 92nd OVI
Ninety-Second Ohio Volunteer Infantry, 949 men, N. H. Van Vorhes colonel, organized at Marietta, Washington County, August-September, 1862; made two expeditions into Western Virginia before mustered in or uniformed; mustered October 1, 1862, ordered to the Kanawha valley October 7, serving the year out in Lightburn's Kanawha Division; January 7, 1863, ordered to Nashville, Tennessee; served in Tennessee and Georgia in 1863; February 22, 1864, entered upon the Georgia campaigns, assigned to First Brigade, Third Division, Fourteenth Army Corps; crossed into South Carolina in February, 1865, and marched through that State and North Carolina; through Richmond to Washington in May, 1865, and there reviewed; mustered out at Washington, June 10, 1865, 488 men, Lieutenant Colonel John C. Morrow commanding.
From: The Military History of Ohio. by H.H. Hardesty
From Dyer's Compendium
92nd Regiment Infantry. Organized at Camp Marietta and at Gallipolis, Ohio, August-September, 1862. (Cos. "A," "B" and "C" garrison duty at Gallipolis, Ohio, September.) Ordered to Point Pleasant, Va., October 7, 1862. Attached to District of the Kanawha, W. Va., Dept. of the Ohio, to December, 1862. 2nd Brigade, Kanawha Division, W. Va., Dept. Ohio, to February, 1863. Crook's Brigade, Baird's Division, Army of Kentucky, Dept. of the Cumberland, to June, 1863. 3rd Brigade, 4th Division, 14th Army Corps, Army of the Cumberland, to October, 1863. 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, 14th Army Corps, to June, 1865.
Signatures of the Comrades of A.H. Browning GAR Post No. 673 on the Post Bylaws
1st Page of the Bylaws of the A.H. Browning GAR Post No. 673, Department of Ohio
Brother Smith at the gravesite of his 4th Great Uncle, John Joseph Clark at Rockland Cemetery in Belpre, Ohio